Friday, April 2, 2010

Fruits and Vegetables - A long time from start to finish!

I started this quilt two years ago this July.  I actually finished the top the same year and showed a picture of it in an August 2008 Blog post.  I quilted it shortly thereafter and even added a flange when I sewed the binding on.  And then, there it sat. 

For the majority of my quilts I sew the binding to the back of the quilt by machine using monopoly thread and a blind hem stitch.  It works wonderfully for most quilts but because this one had the flange I needed to sew it by hand.  I have no idea why it took me so long but it did and now it is finally done.

FruitsVeg IMG_1400
IMG_1402  

I love this quilt.  The story behind it is my sister describe to me a quilt she had seen using 10” squares.  We were getting together at out annual Vegas quilting retreat so we decided to make it using fat quarters that I had purchased for both of us at Spring Market 2008. We each made all the blocks and put them together as a straight set.  I later used my magical slice and dice method to turn it on point.

Now keep in mind I had never seen this quilt but she did a good job describing it.  As it turns out there is a book out (can’t remember the name or the author) that has a quilt that looks very much like this but is made completely different than this one. 

Now that this one is finished and hanging on my quilt ladder. 

IMG_1404

OK so I now realize it’s not actually on the ladder yet, but it will be shortly and if I waited Lucy would have run away (she’s shy) and wouldn’t have made it into the picture.

As soon as I finished my “Forty” quilt I’m planning on making another one of these using these fabrics.

IMG_1403

These are 10” sqaures (Moda’s Boutique by Chez Moi) I picked up a few weeks ago when I went on a mini quilt shop hop in the San Diego area.  I purchased them at Cozy Quilt Shop.  I think the quilt will look very different (but the same) as the fruit and vegetable quilt. 

I’m considering writing a pattern for this one since it’s made so very, very different than the one Melinda described to me two years ago. 

Enjoy,

Signature

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about the fruit and veggie quilt the other day and wondering where it is. I need to dig though my stack of stuff and finish it. I really like how it turned out and want to finish mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really turned out great. Looks like another winner you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fruit and veggie quilt is cute. I have some blocks cut for one, but have yet to accomplish it.

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I would be happy to add you to the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love knowing that I'm not alone, blogging into thin air.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails