Thursday, July 19, 2018

Size Really Does Mater

I’m in Vegas this week attending a Quilting Retreat that I’ve been coming to for close to 20 years.  I usually teach one day and this year I taught a “Great Grammy Square”.  The idea is to make 12” blocks and make as many or as few as you like to make anything from a wall hanging, table runner, throw quilt all the way up to a king size quilt.  In talking to my friend Barb, we were discussing pin cushions we each had using basically the same idea.  She brought her pincushion (the one on the bottom), and I brought mine. 

The end result was a study in cutting size and the finished blocks. 

GGS Size

The block at the top is what we are making this week.  It is made using 2 1/2” squares.  The next one (it’s just sooooooo cute), is made using 1 1/2” squares.  Reduce the cut by another  1/4” in and you have the cute pincushion with the red button in the middle, it was made using 1 1/4” squares.  And that cutie at the bottom (Barb’s pincushion) is made using 1” cut squares. 

I’m always amazed at what a big difference the cut size makes.  I always think whether it’s 1” or 1/4” it’s not going to have a huge impact but sure enough…………..SIZE DOES MATTER.  

Enjoy,

Signature_thumb[1]

1 comment:

  1. You are right, it does matter....love the variations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love knowing that I'm not alone, blogging into thin air.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails