Saturday, May 26, 2018

Under my Needle

After finishing up Gertie it was time to move forward.  In order to move forward I first needed to revisit the past.  in March of 2016 my BFF Marilyn and I attended Asilomar and our 1st Empty Spools Retreat.  We had a wonderful time taking a class from Victoria Findlay Wolfe.  It was a great class and I made a couple of things while there for the 5 days.

Here is the project that I’ve decided needs finishing so it’s now layered, pinned and the quilting started. 

IMG_0430

I used my favorite Red for much of the background and then used a combination of old linens and newer fabrics for the rings.  It’s hard to tell what it looks like but here’s a little closer look at it.

IMG_0426

I think it will end up on my dining room wall once it’s finished. 

So far I’ve named it “Half of Me”.  My father’s family came from Mexico in the early 1900’s.  My Dad was the youngest and I believe the only one born in the United States right here in California.  I love Mexican themed linens and have collected them over the years.  I’ve used them to make blouses and decorate jackets, so this time I decided to use some of them to make a wall hanging. 

The quilting has begun.  Have you ever seen so many pins?

IMG_0430

Marilyn and I also took a class from Cindy Needham, way back when.  Cindy is a fabulous machine quilter.  One of the things Cindy does is anchor the quilt by stitching in the ditch………………. in every stinkin seam.  That’s what I’m doing now.  The decorative quilting (I use that term loosely) will happen after I have anchored all the seams by stitching in the ditch.  It’s hard to see but believe me there are a lot of seams.

Back to stitching in “ESS” (every stinkin seam). 

Enjoy,

Signature_thumb[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love knowing that I'm not alone, blogging into thin air.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails