Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Beginning of a New Wall Hanging

I’ve been wanting to make a Day of the Dead wall hanging quilt for quite some time.  I kind of had a thought about how I wanted to go about it but until this last weekend my thoughts hadn’t come together.  Then I went to M&L with my daughter-in-law and found this piece of flannel in the flat folds.   I’m not 100% sure where I’m headed but at least I have some initial ideas. 

IMG_0408

I am planning on making it using the method I learned at the Jean Impey/Freddy Moran retreat I attended earlier this year. Here’s one of the little quilts I made during the retreat. 

IMG_0411

This one is called Molly and Me and is loosely (very loosely) a self portrait. 

Ok, so back to what I’m starting to work on.  One of the suggestions at the retreat was to use flannel as your background.  When I found this green flannel I knew it was exactly what I didn’t know I was looking for.  The other thing that I learned from the retreat was to pre-quilt your background fabric before adding your subject.  So that’s where I’m at.  I’ve layered a piece of green flannel, pin basted it and now I’m ready to start quilting the background.

IMG_0409Here’s the backing fabric.  Not only is it the backing but it’s also part of my inspiration.  Speaking of inspiration, I found this on the internet and it will also a big part of my inspiration.

IMG_0410So now it’s time to quilt my background and figure out what fabric I’m going to use for the scull.  Then I can have fun starting to play with lots of flowers. 

Hopefully I can remember to take picture along the way and post my progress. 

Enjoy,

Signature_thumb[1]

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it!!! Fun Fun Fun wall hanging! Love your self portrait,very colorful. Happy Quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be so cool, Robin! Eagerly looking forward to seeing what you make :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love knowing that I'm not alone, blogging into thin air.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails