One of my Christmas gifts that I really love was from my sister, Melinda.
Isn’t it the cutest thing? I love it!!!!!!
This is the quilt that I made for my step-daughter Kath. I showed this photo a while back before I put the binding on. I know I took a picture of it once it was completed but for the life of me I don’t know where it is.
Kath has the cutest pugs, Luna and Vinney, who like to sleep on the bed. So any quilt that goes on the bed gets washed over and over again. The last quilt I made her I finished sewing the binding, by hand. It didn’t hold up very well. It came back to me for “warranty” work and that time I was smart enough to sew the binding down with my sewing machine. This time I like to think I’m a little smarter. The binding was sewn on using a faux piping method and completely done by machine.
I used this tutorial http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010/07/faux-piped-binding-tutorial.html. Although I like how it turned out, I think I will play with the measurements a little bit next time. I’d like the piping to look a bit more like a flange and be a little wider. Should be a simple adjustment.
Kath loved the quilt and I’m sure the dogs will like it too.
This week I have a design floor. My granddaughter Emily decided she wanted a new quilt. She spent a lot of time in my sewing room picking the fabrics for a Five, Ten, Twenty quilt. Once she had the fabrics organized, we worked as a team. She ironed and cut while I sewed. The quilt top is now complete and waiting for her to pick out the backing. Then we’ll quilt it on my ancient Handiquilter.
To see what others have on their design walls head on over to Judy’s Patchwork Times Blog.
This one is just too darn big for my design wall. In fact it’s ginormous, almost 100” square. It’s a Christmas present for my step-daughter Kath. I still have to find my leftover fabric so that I can make a scrappy binding. Here’s a close-up of some of the blocks.
This is made using my Five, Ten, Twenty pattern that can be found here. I actually doubled the pattern so that this quilt was made using 36 block leaving 4 left over. I may make pillowshams from the extra blocks, if I can find the time. For now, I need to focus on getting everything else ready for the “big” day.
To see what others have on their design wall, head on over to Judy’s Blog.
Early in the year my guild issued a UFO challenge for 2011. Thank goodness they did because without it non of these particular UFO’s would have gotten finished. Rumor has it we will again have a challenge in 2012 with a twist to it.
I finished putting the binding and label on my last UFO (not really my last UFO, just my last UFO I committed to, I have lot’s of UFO’s). The due date is tonight at our annual Holiday Potluck and Party.
So here it is, in all it’s fineness.
It was quilted on my very, very old original Handiquilter with my Brother PQ 1500. I attempted swirls which turned out OK for my first attempt.
Here’s a close-up of the quilting and binding. Don’t you just love that bias stripe for the binding. Since this will be a charity quilt, I decided to simply use a buttonhole stitch to sew the binding in place.
Finally the back of the quilt. I think I’ve shown this fabric before and I just love it. I had just enough leftover from a previous quilt to use it here. The fabric is extra wide (no piecing ) and came from Ikea. Love it, love it, love it!
Now it’s off to the kitchen to start the meatballs for tonight’s potluck and while I’m in there I think I’ll make some cookies as well. Should be a fun time.